Goodrich Castle, Goodrich, Herefordshire
The first documentary evidence for the castle dates to c1100. At this time the castle was probably a simple enclosure with a timber palisade and tower. The stone keep was the focal point for a reorganisation of the defences during or shortly after the war between Stephen and Matilda in 1138-53. In 1204 King John gave Goodrich to William Marshall. He was probably responsible for the building of the first stone wall and towers around the keep. Under the ownership of William de Valence substantial rebuilding took place around 1300. Most of the present structure dates from this period. Goodrich was the principal residence of the Talbot family in the 14th century. During the Civil War the castle was occupied for Parliament in 1643, then by the Royalists in 1645. In March 1646 the Roundheads laid siege and mined under the river side of the castle, which eventually led to its surrender. Goodrich was then partly demolished to prevent its future military use. The main timbers and lead roofs were removed. The castle was placed in the Care of the Secretary of State in the 1920s. This property is now in the care of English Heritage (2010).