Guildhall, Guildhall Square, Plymouth
The Guildhall, Great Hall, Assize Courts and City Treasury were built in 1870-74. They were designed by Norman and Hine of Plymouth who were the winners of a competition, judged by Alfred Waterhouse. The building was reduced to a shell during the Blitz. The part containing the Municipal Offices was demolished and the rest was re-roofed, restored and reopened in 1959. After the war there was a plan to demolish the Guildhall. It was only saved from demolition by a single Council vote in 1951. It survived as the focus of Plymouth's rebuilding, as perhaps the most significant 19th century survival from the bombed city centre.