Guisborough Priory, Guisborough, Redcar & Cleveland
These are the remains of a priory founded in 1119 by Robert de Brus for Augustinian canons. It was a rich priory and was allowed to run a weekly market by its gates from 1263. The church was rebuilt in 1289 after a fire. In 1540 the priory was dissolved by Henry VIII. In 1550, the site and buildings were sold to Sir Thomas Chaloner. The site is still owned by the Chaloner family and is managed (2011) by English Heritage.