Half Moon Battery, Carlisle Castle, Carlisle, Cumbria
The Half Moon Battery at Carlisle Castle. The battery was built in 1542 for Henry VIII by Stephen von Haschenperg. It is built of sandstone, is a single storey high and in a half moon shape. It had a double row of guns; at ground level cannons could fire across the outer bailey, whilst below a number of square openings allowed defenders to fire on assailants attempting to cross the ditch. It was built to provide extra protection to the approaches to the inner ward of the castle. It was originally next to the moat, but when it was no longer required the moat was completely filled in 1827. This site is now in the care of English Heritage (2011).