Half Moon Battery, Pendennis Castle, Falmouth, Cornwall
Reconstruction drawing of the Half Moon Battery c1910 showing the 6-inch guns. The Half Moon Battery was begun in the 18th century as a crescent-shaped coastal defence on the south side of Pendennis Castle. In 1820 it mounted nine 18-pounder guns, but by 1855 was equipped with five 32-pounders. By 1900 two 6-inch Mark VI breech-loading guns (seen here)were in place, but these were removed by 1939. Two 6-pounder quick-firing guns were mounted at the battery in September 1939 however, from October they were replaced with two 6-inch breech-loading guns. At the start of the Second World War Half Moon operated as an examination battery, but by 1943 was performing a close defence role. The battery was reduced to care and maintenance by February 1945 and decommissioned in 1956. This site is now in the care of English Heritage (2011). Find out more. Take advantage of our free entry for Learning Groups.
PeriodEdwardian (1902 - 1913)
Tagsreconstruction drawing military gun castle defence attack coast henry viii invasion english heritage
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.