Herstmonceux Castle, Herstmonceux, East Sussex
Herstmonceux Castle dates from around 1441, with later additions. It was built as a fortified mansion on the site of an earlier house. The majority of these buildings were dismantled in 1777 to provide building materials for the nearby Herstmonceux Place. Only the external walls and the gatehouse were left standing. The castle was restored and rebuilt in the early 20th century. This image shows the castle before this work took place. The Royal Observatory was transferred to Herstmonceux from Greenwich in 1948 and occupied the site for 40 years. It now (2011) houses an international study centre.