Hospital of St Cross, Winchester, Hampshire
St. Cross Hospital was founded in 1132 by Henry de Blois, Bishop of Winchester. It was for 13 poor men to live in. 100 other poor people were given dinner daily. By 1185 this had increased to 200. In the mid 13th century the hospital fell into decay. In 1368 it was found that no men were being maintained or given meals. The buildings were repaired and by degrees the hospital recovered. The Almshouse of Noble Poverty was built by Cardinal Beaufort in 1445. Today it is still almshouses providing relief for the poor.