Italian Hospital, Queen Square, Holborn, Greater London
The operating room in the Italian Hospital. The Italian Hospital (also known as the Ospidale Italiano) was founded in 1884 by Commendator Giovanni Batista Ortelli, a London businessman. It was for the benefit of sick Italians living in London who were unable to pay for their own health care. The hospital was run by the Sisters of Charity of St Vincent de Paul. Most of the Italian community lived in the Clerkenwell and Holborn areas. After the First World War, the hospital was refurbished to accommodate wounded British and Belgian troops. It closed in 1990.