Lewis's Department Store, Liverpool, Merseyside
David Lewis opened his first small shop on Ranelagh Street Liverpool in 1856. It expanded into a massive department store which became one of a chain of stores in different towns. In May 1941 the building was destroyed by enemy bombing during the Blitz. This photograph was taken in 1942 looking from the Adelphi Hotel. A new Lewis’s store was designed in 1947 by Gerald de Courcy Fraser. It was built by Fraser, Sons and Geary on the same site. In 1991 all the shops except for the Liverpool store were sold off. The Liverpool store stayed open until 2007. The building still stands (2011) but its future is uncertain.