Liverpool Collegiate School, Liverpool, Merseyside
This school was built as an educational foundation and was made up of 3 distinct schools, all in the same building. It opened in Shaw Lane in 1843 and was designed by Harvey Elmes in a Tudor Gothic style. It is built from local sandstone as are many public buildings in the city. The members of the Committee of Management were clergymen, merchants, professional men and gentlemen, manufacturers, tradesmen and mechanics. The 3 schools provided education for children from 3 different social classes. The building was divided up so that pupils from the different schools were kept separate and could not mix. The school hall was the only large public meeting hall in Liverpool in the early 1840s. It was used for concerts, lectures and meetings. The Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra used it before the original Philharmonic Hall was opened. From 1907 until 1973 it was a boys Grammar school. It closed in 1985. The building suffered a major fire in 1994 and the shell was converted into flats in the late 1990s.