Ludgershall Castle, Ludgershall, Wiltshire
The first castle was probably built by Edward of Salisbury, Sheriff of Wiltshire, in the late 11th century. It became royal property in about 1100. It was managed by John the Marshal who was the 'castellan', or custodian, on behalf of the king. He fortified the castle. The most important buildings were largely built in stone: the great hall, a tower and royal domestic apartments. The bailey had timber buildings including the castle farm, stables and kitchens. From about 1317, Ludgershall was referred to as 'the king’s manor'. It was given to successive queens and royal dependents, including Queen Philippa, wife of Edward III. By the 1540s the buildings had been dismantled and levelled over to form the garden of a nearby house; the tower was kept as a garden feature. This property is in the care of English Heritage (2011). Read more.