Marble Hill House, Richmond Upon Thames, Greater London
Marble Hill House is a Georgian Palladian villa built between 1724 and 1729 to the designs of Lord Herbert and Roger Morris for Henrietta Howard, mistress of George II. It was intended as an Arcadian retreat from crowded 18th-century London. The setting of the house, in 66 acres of riverside parkland, was the work of the poet Alexander Pope and Charles Bridgeman, the royal landscape gardener. The building had been altered externally and internally but was restored to its original design by the Greater London Council between 1965 and 1966. Marble Hill is the last complete survivor of the elegant villas and gardens which bordered the Thames between Richmond and Hampton Court in the 18th century.It is now (2011) in the care of English Heritage.