Martyrs' Memorial, Culfail, Lewes, East Sussex

Martyrs' Memorial, Culfail, Lewes, East Sussex
Photograph taken 01 June 2005 © Mr Cyril Selby LRPS, LMPA. Source Historic England Archive ref: 293055

The Martyrs' memorial was constructed in 1901 and was unveiled by the Earl of Portsmouth. Since its unveiling there has been an annual commemoration at the foot of the memorial for the Martyrs. The Inscription panel on the memorial reads: 'In loving memory of the undernamed seventeen protestant martyrs who, for their faithful testimony to God's truth were, during the reign of Queen Mary, burned to death in front of the then Star Inn now the Town Hall".


East Sussex Culfail


Victorian (1837 - 1901)



religion faith commemorate memorial monument victorian (1837 - 1901)