Middlesbrough Transporter Bridge, Cleveland

Middlesbrough Transporter Bridge, Cleveland
Photograph taken November 1990 © Copyright Historic England Archive ref: nmr 12040/03

Opening on the 17th October 1911, the 850 ft Middlesbrough Transporter Bridge spanned the 470 ft River Tees, superseding the ferry crossing which had operated since 1840. Constructed on the cantilever principle, the main spans are anchored at either end by sixteen wire cables embedded in concrete foundations. The £90,000 bridge used 3,500 tons of steel and 10,000 cubic yards of concrete, and could carry 600 passengers and six vehicles on its moving platform using a 30 horsepower motor.