Mill, Fakenham, Norfolk
A watermill has stood on this site on the River Wensum since at least the 17th century. It was rebuilt circa 1720 and has since been considerably extended and altered. By the late 19th century water power had been supplemented by steam, and a truncated chimney is visible. Owned by Dewing and Kersley Ltd from 1912 until it ceased operation in 1980, it was a corn and flour mill for most of its life, though it produced animal feed in its latter years. Find out more about windmills and watermills in our Teachers' Kit - Mills. and find out more about steam power in our Teachers' Kit - Steam Power.