Minster Abbey, Sheerness, Kent
View of Minster Abbey, Sheerness, from the south-east, with a line of gravestones in the foreground. In 664 Queen Sexburga built at Minster an abbey which she called Mynstra, and maintained for 77 nuns. The Archbishop of Canterbury rebuilt it in the 12th century. This house was apparently Benedictine and Augustinian alternately. At about the time of the suppression there were 10 nuns as well as a Prioress. The Priory was dissolved in 1536.