Mobilization store and Squash Court to former Hillsborough barracks, Sheffield, South Yorkshire
The former mobilization store and squash court to the Hillsborough Barracks were built in 1848-54. Hillsborough was built in response to anxiety over civil unrest. It was one of the first barracks planned with the reformed ideas on military accommodation preceding the Crimean War. The mobilization store was later used as industrial workshops until the mid-20th century. Squash and other ball courts were common recreational components of nineteenth century barracks. It was converted in 1990 to be used as offices.