Montreal Infant and Junior School, Cleator Moor, Cumbria
A schoolgirl washing her hands. The original Montreal Schools were built in 1866 in the High Street. In 1946 these buildings were demolished. In 1951 the Infant and Junior children came back together at the Wath Brow site in a collection of prefabricated buildings. This image is one of a set of photographs that seem to have been taken soon after opening. In 1986 new Junior and Infant schools were built at Ennerdale Road to replace the prefabricated buildings. In 2000 the Infant and Junior schools joined to form Montreal Church of England Primary School. This photograph comes from the John Laing Company Archive.