Multangular Tower and Wall, Museum Gardens, York

Multangular Tower and Wall, Museum Gardens, York
Photograph taken 31 May 2001 © Mr Chris Broadribb. Source Historic England Archive ref: 464203

This is part the rebuilding of the West angle tower of the legionary fortress' (Eboracum) defences in c300AD. The legionary fortress was built in AD 71 then rebuilt in stone AD 107-8. This tower was later reused as part of the Medieval city wall. The Medieval work has nine faces, each of which has a cruciform (cross shaped) arrow slit. Before the restoration of 1960 the slits had been hacked out, presumably for gun loops.

Location

York York

Period

Medieval (Middle Ages) (1066 - 1484)

Tags

wall defence tower Medieval (1066 - 1484)