Napper's Mite Almhouses, Dorchester, Dorset
Napper's Almshouse or Napier's Mite was founded in 1615 by Sir Robert Napper (or Napier) of Middlemarsh for 10 poor men. There were 10 one storey dwellings arranged along the front and round an inner courtyard. The room over the front range was used for Bible instruction. All the buildings have been much restored and the courtyard converted into a tiny shopping arcade. The front was rebuilt in 1842. The confusion over the name of the founder is due to the fact that spelling was not standardised in the 17th century and there are several sources with different spellings of his name.