Old Customs House, Whitehaven, Cumbria

Old Customs House, Whitehaven, Cumbria
Photograph taken April 1968 © Reproduced by permission of Historic England Archive ref: bb68/06759

The Customs House in Whitehaven was built in 1811. From here the taxes on goods imported and exported were calculated, in much the same way that customs offices still do today. Customs houses were frequently located alongside warehouses, as is seen here.

Location

Cumbria Whitehaven

Period

Georgian (1714 - 1836)

Tags

1960s (1960 - 1969) custom house trade office warehouse architecture export import georgian (1714 - 1836)