Old Grammar School, Church Square, Market Harborough, Leicestershire

A school was founded in 1607 by Robert Smyth, a native of the town who became Comptroller of the City of London's Chamber and member of the Merchant Taylors' Company. He left money for the education of poor children. In 1614 this schoolhouse was built, in accordance with Smyth's detailed instructions, on posts in the market place. It is probable that throughout the 17th century masters accepted fee paying pupils, both day boys and boarders. When the Dean of Christ Church, John Fell, visited the school in 1673 he found about 60 boys, most of whom were the sons of the nobility and gentry, but he did not specify the number of free pupils. By 1704-11 there were 83 or 84 boys of whom nearly 30 were boarders. The building was used as a school until 1892.


Leicestershire Market Harborough


Stuart (1603 - 1713)


school education charity philanthropy Stuart (1603 - 1713)