Old Palace (Stockwell College), Rochester Avenue, Bromley , Greater London
This building is on the site of a Medieval moated house. It was owned by the Bishops of Rochester, rebuilt in 1184 and later altered. Parts of the building and moat are still visible within the grounds. It was again rebuilt in 1774-76. It remained in ecclesiastical ownership until 1845 when it was sold to Coles Child. He made many alterations to the house during the later 19th century. In the early 20th century it became part of Stockwell College - a teacher training college. During this time it was extensively enlarged, including the addition of wings in 1934-5. Further substantial alterations were made during the late 1960s. In 1980 the college closed. The London Borough of Bromley took over the complex and in 1982 it became the Civic Centre.