Opera House, Southport, Merseyside

Opera House, Southport, Merseyside
Photograph taken 1891 - 1910 © Reproduced by permission of Historic England Archive ref: OP00592

A resort had to offer suitable entertainment if it was to thrive. The opera house in Southport opened on 7th September 1891 and had a capacity of 2,000. By building an opera house Southport was deliberately aiming for middle and upper class tourists. The opera house was destroyed by fire in 1921.

Location

Merseyside Southport

Period

Edwardian (1902 - 1913)

Tags

people transport road street edwardian (1902 - 1913) leisure entertainment music