Peterborough Cathedral, Peterborough
Peada of Mercia founded Peterborough Abbey as a minster church, originally called Medehamstede, in 655. In 1116 it was set on fire. Rebuilding began shortly afterwards as a Benedictine monastery. It was dissolved in 1539 and reopened in 1541 as the cathedral of Peterborough. The construction of the present Cathedral began in 1118 and was continued in the same style for about 80 years. The work progressed from east to west. The west front was completed by 1238. The result was one of the great Norman cathedrals of England. The original tower was completed between 1155 and 1175. However it had to be taken down in the 14th century as it was too heavy for its support. It was replaced by a single storey wooden tower. The tower had to be completely rebuilt again in 1884 as it had again become dangerous. During the 1884 rebuilding, remains of the earlier Anglo-Saxon church were discovered.