Pilkington Special Hospital, St Helens, Merseyside
Wounded servicemen receiving galvanic and faradic treatments in one of the four bays of the electro room at Pilkington Special Hospital. The Pilkington Special Hospital was set up by James R Kerr along with Pilkington Brothers, glass manufacturers. It was established in 1916 for the treatment and rehabilitation of servicemen disabled during the First World War. This photograph is part of a set. Some of them appear in the publication 'Orthopaedics in Relation to Man-Power: with description of the Special Orthopaedic Hospital' written in 1919 by James R Kerr, Surgeon-in-charge.