Pilkington Special Hospital, St Helens, Merseyside
Plaster casts of deformities on display at Pilkington Special Hospital. These were viewed as being valuable aids to the surgeon for the making of splints. The Pilkington Special Hospital was set up by James R Kerr along with Pilkington Brothers, glass manufacturers. It was established in 1916 for the treatment and rehabilitation of servicemen disabled during the First World War. This photograph is part of a set. Some of them appear in the publication 'Orthopaedics in Relation to Man-Power: with description of the Special Orthopaedic Hospital' written in 1919 by James R Kerr, Surgeon-in-charge.