Police Station, The Sands, Appleby in Westmorland, Cumbria

Police Station, The Sands, Appleby in Westmorland, Cumbria
Photograph taken September 1997 © Crown copyright.NMR ref: BB97/12079

This building was constructed as a prison in 1770. The problems of rising crime led to a full-time paid police force being established in the 1820s, although it was not until the late 1850s that constables were employed in all parts of the country. This building became a police station in 1878.