Pump Engine House, South Crofty Mine, Station Road, Carn Brea, Cornwall
This engine house held the pump for Robinson's shaft at the South Crofty Tin Mine. It dates from 1903 and was built around the engine, which is dated 1854, to protect it. The 80-inch cylinder Cornish beam engine is still inside. It was used to pump water from the mine. The beam can be seen sticking out from the side of the engine house where it was attached to the pump. The engine came from Tregurtha Downs Mine near Marazion. It has not been used since 1955 but is still in good condition. Engine houses similar to this one were a common site during the industrial revolution.