Remains of north-west range of White Cloth Hall, Leeds, West Yorkshire
The Leeds cloth market was held in Briggate until the First Cloth Hall for undyed (white) cloth was opened in Kirkgate in 1711. Weavers bought from the merchants of the city and would then finish, dye and resell the cloth. In 1756 the expansion in the trade resulted in the construction of the Second Cloth Hall in Meadow Lane, by which time 4,000-5,000 clothiers attended the Leeds cloth halls each week. Then merchants financed this, the third Cloth Hall which was opened in 1776.