Rochester Cathedral, Kent
An elevated view from the keep of Rochester Castle looking down towards the Cathedral. The present building dates from circa 1180 when Bishop Gundulf rebuilt the Saxon cathedral. The church was consecrated in 1130. In 1080, the secular canons were replaced by a priory of Benedictine monks. Building and rebuilding continued until the surrender of the monastery in 1540. In the following year, the cathedral was placed in the hands of a new secular body named the "Dean and Chapter of the Cathedral Church of Christ and the Blessed Virgin Mary of Rochester", but all the monastic buildings were reserved to the king. It was subject to major restoration work in the 19th century.