Southwark Bridge, London

Southwark Bridge, London
Photograph taken 1870-1900 © Reproduced by permission of Historic England Archive ref: cc97/00996

Sir John Rennie (1794-1874) built a three-arch cast-iron toll bridge between Blackfriars and London Bridges. With a central span of 72 m it was largest bridge ever made of cast-iron. The bridge was replaced in 1921 and is seen here in the late 19th century, heavy with traffic.

Location

Greater London Southwark

Period

Victorian (1837 - 1901)

Tags

street scene bridge transport horse cart people work Victorian (1837 - 1901)