St Botolph's Priory, Colchester, Essex
The priory of St Julian and St Botolph was founded between 1093 and 1100. It was one of the first religious houses in England to adopt Augustinian rule. This initially gave it authority over other houses of that order in the country to correct abuses, inflict punishments and prescribe regulations. Despite these privileges, St Botolph’s remained a small priory. It was dissolved in 1536 and its possessions were granted to Sir Thomas Audley, Lord Chancellor. Part of the church remained in use as a parish church until the siege of Colchester in 1648, when the Royalist town was attacked by General Fairfax. During the siege the church was largely destroyed by cannon fire and has never been repaired. This site is now in the care of English Heritage (2011). Find out more.