St Joseph's Convent, Taunton, Somerset

St Joseph's Convent, Taunton, Somerset
Photograph taken 02 September 2002 © Mr R.M Rayner. Source Historic England Archive ref: 269885

This is a large complex of attached buildings of considerable architectural interest. The original part was built as a hospital in 1772. In 1807 it was acquired by Franciscan nuns. They were refugees from Bruges (Belgium). They extended the buildings in 1811. There were also a lot of Victorian additions to the buildings.

Location

Somerset Taunton

Period

Georgian (1714 - 1836)

Tags

hospital convent franciscan religion faith Georgian (1714 - 1836)