St Mary-in-Castro and the Roman lighthouse, Dover Castle, Kent
The rough masonry tower at the west end of the church of St Mary-in-Castro is the remains of one of a pair of Roman lighthouses at Dover which guided shipping across the channel. Read detailed archaeological description of the lighthouse. The church itself dates from circa 1020 AD. The church was extensively repaired in 1582 but was in little use from the end of the 16th century. By 1724 its bells had been removed and the building was in ruins. It was used as a Fives' Court in the early 1790s and a garrison coal store during the Napoleonic Wars (1793-1815). During the modernising of the castle in the mid 19th century the church was restored. Read detailed archaeological description of the church. This site is now in the care of English Heritage (2010).