St Nicholas' Chapel and Lighthouse, Lantern Hill, Ilfracombe, Devon
This chapel incorporating a lighthouse lantern is situated on a high rock, known as Lantern Hill, between the sea and harbour. The chapel may date back to the 14th century and is known to have been in existence by the early 15th century. It was already used as a lighthouse by the time of Henry VIII (1509 to 1547). The lantern was replaced in the 18th or early 19th century. It is not known when the chapel closed for worship but it seems to have been used for various purposes over the last 200 years. During the 19th century it was used as a house, reading room and laundry.