Star Castle, The Garrison, St Marys, Isles of Scilly
This eight-pointed star fort is surrounded by a dry moat and was built in 1593. The outer walls are about 18ft high. They have an entrance from a short flight of steps to a small bridge, giving access to a projecting gatetower. The inner building was fomerly used as a prison and is "the most important building architecturally and historically in the Isles of Scilly." It is the main fort in a defensive system built under Francis Godolphin to counter the threat posed by the Spanish after the Armada of 1588. With its outer bastions and walls, Star Castle comprises an important and complete example of an Elizabethan fort built to a common Renaissance plan. It was also used as a prison, notable inmates including Dr.Bastwick (1637) and Sir John Ireton (1662). Star Castle was also the last Royalist stronghold. Prince Charles and his followers took refuge here in 1646 after their retreat from the Battle of Bodmin. It was converted into an hotel in 1933.