Swainston Manor, Newport Road, Calbourne, Isle of Wight

The earliest reference to Swainston is in a charter of King Egbert of 827. This house was built in 1174-88. It was originally a manor house belonging to the bishops of Winchester as Abbots of the Monastery of St Swithin at Winchester. The house was then added to by Richard of Ely, Bishop of Winchester, in 1268-80. A large house of c1750 was built on to these buildings by the Barrington family. This house front was rebuilt in 1798. The house was severely damaged by bombing in 1941 and restored 1950-54. This is the oldest standing domestic building on the Isle of Wight.


Isle of Wight Calbourne


Medieval (Middle Ages) (1066 - 1484)


manor house architecture blitz bomb damage medieval (1066 - 1484) monastery