Tattershall Castle, Sleaford Road, Tattershall, Lincolnshire
A chimneypiece in Tattershall Castle showing the coats of arms of the Cromwell family. The 13th century castle was rebuilt by Ralph, Lord Cromwell between 1433 and 1455 as a fortified house. Cromwell was Treasurer of England between 1434-1447. The house was a display of his wealth, power and ambition. It was sold in 1910 and the new owners removed the medieval chimneypieces for shipping to America. After the intervention of Lord Curzon of Kedleston they were returned and Tattershall Castle restored.