The Bede House, Lyddington, Rutland
This building incorporates the remains of a medieval palace of the bishops of Lincoln. In 1085 Bishop Remegius acquired a manor at Lyddington. Records show that by the early 1200s religious men were living here. The palace was extensively rebuilt in the early/mid 14th century. It was further altered during the 15th and early 16th centuries. In 1547 it was seized on behalf of the king. It later passed to the Cecils of Burghley who in 1600, converted part of the palace into an almshouse. This was known as the Jesus Hospital. It later became known as the Bedehouse. It continued in use as an almshouse until 1930. In 1954 it passed into the care of the Ministry of Works and was subsequently restored. This property is now in the care of English Heritage (2010).