The Bedlam Furnace, Ironbridge, Telford and Wrekin
The remains of a coke-fired blast furnace. It was among the first in the country to be built specifically for coke smelting. It was built in 1756-7 by the Madeley Wood Company. Then bought by Abraham Darby III in 1776 and taken over by the Reynolds Brothers in 1796. In the 19th century one furnace was used as a brick kiln. The rest of the site was abandoned during the 1840s. It is now part of the of the Ironbridge Gorge open air museum.