The Blind Asylum, Eastern Road, Brighton, Brighton and Hove
The Brighton Asylum for the Instruction of the Blind started in 1841 as a small school for blind pupils at the home of William Moon in Queen's Road, Brighton. In October 1861 the Asylum moved to new premises in Eastern Road, designed by Somers Clarke on land donated by the Rev Henry Venn Elliott. It had two school-rooms, a music and dining hall, work-room and a willow-soaking room for basket-making. In 1904 the girls were transferred to the Barclay School for Partially Sighted Girls and it began to cater just for boys. It was renamed the Brighton School for Partially Sighted Boys in 1946 having been known as the Brighton School for Blind Boys since 1921. In 1951 it moved to Blatchington Court. The school closed in 1985. This building was demolished in 1958.