The Bridport Literary and Scientific Institute, Dorset

The Bridport Literary and Scientific Institute, Dorset
Photograph taken September 1996 © Crown copyright.NMR ref: BB96/05497

Established in 1834-5 as a Mechanics Institute by the MP for Bridport. It became the Bridport Literary and Scientific Society in 1854-5. It was used during WWII as a quartermaster's store before becoming a public library in the 1950s.

Location

Dorset Bridport

Period

Georgian (1714 - 1836)

Tags

victorian institute education philanthropy library Georgian (1714 - 1836)