The Brighton Aquarium, Madeira Drive, Brighton, Brighton and Hove
The Aquarium was built in 1869-1872. It was designed and engineered by Eugenius Birch who had to construct a new promenade and sea wall in order to build it. There was also a reading room, restaurant and conservatory. By 1922 the complex was empty and was almost turned into a bus garage. It was remodelled in 1927-29 adding a concert hall, ballroom and bandstand.