The Castle, Barnard Castle, Durham
The castle and town take their name from its 12th century founder, Bernard de Balliol. The castle was later developed by the Beauchamp family and Richard III. Richard's boar emblem is carved above a window in the inner ward, the castle's chief strength. It was here that loyalist forces were besieged during the 1569 Northern Rising against Queen Elizabeth, before surrendering to 5,000 rebels. The castle was robbed of much of its stone by Sir Henry Vane who took ownership of the castle in 1625. He used it for the rebuilding of Raby Castle. Barnard Castle is now in the care of English Heritage (2010).