The Castle, Sledmere, East Riding of Yorkshire
This house was built around 1790. It was designed by John Carr for Sir Christopher Sykes, the 2nd Baronet Sledmere, as an eye-catcher to Sledmere House. As it was designed to add interest to the view from Sledmere House it was built in a Gothic style to look like a castle entrance. The landscaping of the grounds led to the demolition and rebuilding of the whole village of Sledmere and the diversion of the York to Bridlington road.