The Day Mark, St Martins, Isles of Scilly
The Day Mark was built as an aid to navigation in 1683. It was built by Thomas Ekins the first steward of the Godophin Family to live on the islands. Ekins encouraged the resettlement of St. Martins from the 1680s. It is the earliest surviving dated example of a beacon in the British Isles. It was painted white until 1822 but by 1833 had been painted red, and is now painted in bands of red and white.