The Dungeon, Harwood Road, Bury, Greater Manchester
This building is dated 1835. It was used as a lockup. Before a national system of policing was set up many villages had their own lockup. Criminals (often drunks, petty thieves and those starting fights) were held for a short time. They were then either released or sent to a larger town for trial. This one was originally managed by the publican in the inn next to it, then later by the village constable. They were often built as part of a complex including the village pound, stocks and pillory. They date back to around the 1560s.