The Elephant and Castle Tavern, Southwark, London

The Elephant and Castle Tavern, Southwark, London
Photograph taken unavailable © Reproduced by permission of Historic England Archive ref: cc73/02567

A busy street scene outside the Elephant and Castle Tavern. Originally a blacksmith, the building was converted into a tavern in 1760 and became a well-known coaching terminus in the 18th and 19th centuries. The area was devastated during World War II.

Location

Greater London Southwark

Period

Edwardian (1902 - 1913)

Tags

street scene pub transport horse tram coach people men women Edwardian (1902 - 1913)