The Exchange, All Saints Lane, Bristol
The Exchange was designed by John Wood the Elder and built in in 1741-43. It was built back from the street so that its façade could be seen and admired. Before the exchange was built money used to be paid out on 4 brass Nails or flat-topped stands. These can be seen in front of the building. They may be linked to the saying 'cash on the nail'.